By Abby Sewell
Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES _ The two officers charged in the July death of a homeless man in Fullerton, Calif., will be placed on leave without pay starting Oct. 8, Fullerton officials said Thursday after a closed-door meeting.
Officer Manuel Ramos and Cpl. Jay Cicinelli have been on paid administrative leave since early August, along with the other four officers involved in the July 5 incident that led to Kelly Thomas’ death.
Last week, the Orange County district attorney’s office filed charges of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter against Ramos and of involuntary manslaughter and excessive use of force against Cicinelli.
Both officers have been released on bail.
Acting Police Chief Kevin Hamilton released a statement saying, “The intent to change their pay status was made after consulting with our city attorneys regarding law that is relevant to this area.”
The officers have until Oct. 7 to appeal the decision.
City spokeswoman Sylvia Palmer said the appeal process would begin with the chief, then could be appealed to the city manager, to an independent arbitrator and finally to the City Council.
The other four officers involved in the incident will remain on paid leave, pending completion of a city-commissioned independent investigation by consultant Michael Genacco, an internal investigation and another ongoing investigation by the FBI’s civil rights division.
By Abby Sewell