Girl’s death raises death toll to 3 from Asiana Airlines Flight 214


The death of a girl at San Francisco General Hospital Friday raised the death toll from the crash of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 to three, authorities said.

The girl, described only as a minor, had been treated for critical injuries at the hospital since the time of the crash, CNN reported. Her name was not released.

A 16-year-old girl who died in the crash of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 was run over by a fire truck, San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr said earlier Friday.

It was unclear, however, if she was alive at the time the vehicle struck her, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Ye Meng Yuan was flying from China to visit Stanford University and attend camp in Southern California.

Suhr said the girl’s body was found by firefighters after the crash.

In an interview with the Chronicle aired on KPIX-TV, San Francisco, Suhr said video indicates Ye was struck by a fire truck rushing to the scene of the crash.

“We know for sure she was at least run over one time, but at the time she was under foam, so nobody could have seen her,” Suhr said. “And the question is whether or not she was still alive at the time. So the coroner in San Mateo County will be determining that.”

Federal investigators say the Boeing 777’s automatic controls seemed to be working normally before it crash-landed July 6 at San Francisco International Airport, killing two people and injuring 182.

National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Deborah Hersman said the cockpit tools that help pilots set minimum speed and altitude during landings showed no anomalous behaviour on the flight.

The pilots said they had set the plane’s automated throttle to maintain speed but noticed the speed declining and tried to recalibrate, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The pilots were making a number of adjustments to the plane’s instruments, including multiple automatic functions, in the last 2 1/2 minutes of the flight, Hersman said.